Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Through


I'm going through a season in my life unlike any other season I've ever been through. It's one that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. But I'm reminded of something my great-grandmother and hero once told me when I was a teenager, "the greatest confession someone can make without even knowing it is when they say they're going 'through' something." She was referencing an often missed principle in that statement. The dictionary describes that word "through" as "going into one side and out the other." People are confessing that this place and this experience will soon end when they don't even realize the truth in what they are confessing.

My great-grandmother taught me that the Lord says in his Word over and over when you go 'through' something, He will be there. One of the greatest examples of this is found in Psalm 23:4, "Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." 

I've been challenging myself on the thought of going "through" seasons of life because of the fears that the Devil will place in my mind. I decided that the best place for me to sort through my feelings and find out how to address the issues in my life was to seek counsel. So I called someone who I consider to be better known as a modern day Mary: Cindy Beall. Cindy has a testimony that is so powerful, if you don't believe in going "through" a season of your life, just listen to her or read her extremely powerful book ("Healing when trust is broken"). She has it figured out. The thing that she said that has stuck with me every single day for the past month is, "Ashlie, you don't have to make any decisions today" she said, "the most important thing you can do is seek peace." Wow. Such a simple sentence with deliverance outlining every line in that 5 letter word. The Lord will never confuse us. Our Father is a Lord of peace. Satan is the author of lies and confusion. The Bible is the one who said it, not me. John 8:44,..."for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

I am learning that peace is not something that comes to me overnight. Maybe it does for some but I question it's authenticity if it does. I believe genuine peace is something that is earned. I think people ask for peace and don't understand that if God doesn't give it to them right way, it doesn't mean He doesn't care. It means he wants us to seek. The Bible says in Psalm 37:37, "...a future awaits those who seek peace." It says in the Word over and over, "seek peace and pursue it." These statements mean so much more than seeking a feeling. Since God IS Peace, He's asking for us to seek HIM and our peace will come. As I've been doing that day after day, week after week, I'm learning that peace never came over night. But man is starting to build up my spirit. I know that what I'm going through will soon be over. But I will be grateful for these seasons because my spirit is being rebuilt and my love for God is being restored. I'm so glad he never gave me peace the moment I asked for it. I truly mean that. His love was enough to hold me in times when I needed it. I could feel him calm me down and give me hope. But peace is another ball game and it takes time for it to be genuine; for it to be a part of who you are... because who you are is a part of God. The God of peace. 

Know that whatever you're going through, will end. And in the mean time, seek peace and earn it. You will never be the same when you finally wake up and realize that your obedience and persistence has built up your spirit and now peace is all you know. 

You'll get through it...I'll get through it. 

Seek peace.







No comments: