Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Just One?

“Would I do it for One?”

It may sound more like a question than a statement but the inferable is two-part. I asked this question after finding myself brutally frustrated with numbers. We treat numbers like living objects: how are they growing, how are they looking, how are they moving, how are they sliding, slipping, skyrocketing, shaking, smelling, feeling, hurting, coasting, boasting and toasting?

As humans, we’re obsessed with measurable. If we can’t measure something, we must not be successful… or if we are successful we would never know without finding a way to measure it. I don’t discredit those who enjoy using numbers as tools for change. That’s not my point. My point is: you can’t measure a changed life. You can’t measure what happens within a person’s heart. You can’t measure the power of the Holy Spirit. You can’t measure impact. It will be impossible to measure until we’re in Heaven and we see people around us that were influenced by things we can not measure.

So I come back to my original statement, “Would I do it for One?” Would I keep working, lose sleep, bleed, fight, cry, face a constant battle? Would I stay motivated? Would I wake up early and stay late? Would I plan the meetings, set up the stage, stub my toes and never let up? Would I be willing to do all of that…for one life? To be a part of one changed life? Is it worth it to me?

Who am I working for?

We can celebrate what we understand. We can shout praises for another name written in the Book of Life. We can jump up and down for those who are healed, for the stories of financial peace, for the miracles that can only be credited to answered prayer. But why aren’t we celebrating the things for which we can’t see… the things we don’t understand? Would you keep working if only one person was led by the Holy Spirit to be a part of this thing we call the Christian life? Is one life important to you?

“I want to see the difference I’m making.” Isn’t that something we’ve all thought? If we want to be honest, it’s that small voice in the back of all our minds that says, “I had something to do with that ‘changed life.’’ So when you can take a second and realize who you're really doing this for, it might and should humble you to your proper place and put things back into perspective...or at least for me it did.

When we’re willing to show up with the vision, the prayer and the passion that one single life could be changed on this very day, then that’s how I believe we’ve succeeded. It’s about the condition of our hearts. It’s about realizing that this is not about me: It’s about the One. Christ not only spoke to the crowds, He spoke to individuals. No matter what arena you live in, it's not about how many lives your influencing... it's about letting the Holy Spirit live in you so that He can change lives. It could be one life saved for eternity... is it worth to you?

No comments: