Are there times when you wish that your life would be more consistent? Do you ever feel like you’re getting closer to something really good then all of a sudden the bottom falls out in a totally different area? This causes somewhat of a snowball effect and you start to sum up all the “frustrating” things that are occurring in your life and suddenly you lose control of your emotions, your mind and even your strength.
I’m starting to realize that this has become a common theme for me. Truthfully, there are moments when it seems like God has poured out His blessings in the form of something hopeful. Please don’t misunderstand me and talk about how “God is hope” and we should put our faith in Him... that’s not what I’m talking about.
[Side note: I honestly can say that I have never been mad at God. He is the only sound and true being that has never failed me or forsaken me. I don’t know how unbelievers do it sometimes. Without God you have no hope, you have nothing.]
Continuing...
What I am talking about is this idea that life, as we know it, should consistently have something to look forward to. If were not excited about something than we might as well just hate the world. Or better yet, when something seems to go right but you stay afraid that it’ll go away or you’ll lose it, so you keep it at a distance until you know for certain that it’s real. It’s frustrating to live this way. You live in a world where you don’t see blessing. You live in a place where it’s hard to see how God sustains you, gives you health, provides for you, etc.
The type of people I’m describing are the ones like me. The people who have been through some traumatic issues in your life, maybe your childhood or adolescence and you can’t seem to shake it. The people who still have issues following them even now. There are some individuals who carry around a pessimistic attitude and can’t shake that either. Or maybe you’ve had some very bad relationships. Relationships that weren’t so relational. The type of people I understand are the ones who can’t seem to catch that break. You so badly want to “go” and “do” and “be” but for whatever reason you must “stay.” I understand the people who get trapped in their thinking and swallow in their doubt.
However, here’s where you must persevere. If you’re serious about giving up, more than likely you’re not. The people that I see giving up are the ones who are complacent. Those are the ones who don’t push themselves for more, look at struggles in the face, make a decision to be uncomfortable so that they will develop better character. *The people who are in situations where they want so badly to quit but they know that for some reason that have to keep fighting, they have to keep going...those are the most successful people on Earth. Why? “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything (James 1:2-4). So if that’s the course that I’m on right now... and if that’s why I’m going through so many spiritual battles... then bring it! I don’t want to lack in anything. I want to be considered mature and completed unto God.
Do not let frustration build up on you. There are some practical things you can do such as the hardest thing of all: talk to someone. You know who that someone should be: the one you can trust, the one who won’t look down on you, someone of the same gender and someone who will be willing to pray with you if nothing else. Talk. It’s vulnerable, it’s hard, it’s even annoying at times but if you talk to someone who will listen, do it. Even if you have to tell this person, “hey I just need you to listen right now”, do it. I believe that if you hold too much inside of you and the snowball effect starts to take place, you’ll be like a can of coke that’s been shaken up. Once someone opens it, the mess goes everywhere including places you never intended for it to land. Get rid of your arrogant, self-destructive pride and talk to someone. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and wait for someone to come to you, GO to someone on your own terms.
Do not give up. I’ve been witness to what it looks like when someone really gives up. In these two extreme cases, these individuals wanted and even tried to take their own lives. That’s obviously the worst thing that can happen. Frustration can also lead to depression, which leads to self-pity and doubt, which leads to a sickness of the mind and a complete lack of understanding of Who.God.IS. and what He wants to do for you. Believe that there is a reason for this time in your life. Even if you don’t know why you should believe it, at least confess it. You’ll start to see a change of heart.
I’ve been reading Job a lot lately. The one thing that stood out to me the most is that Job was completely unaware of the conversation that occurred between Satan and God. He had no idea why He was having to suffer such anguish. The Bible even says that because of the sores on his body and the way he looked his friends “could hardly recognize him; they began to weep aloud, and they tore their robes and sprinkled dust on their heads” (2:12). Job understood that God will do whatever He wants to do because He is all-knowing and Sovereign. He was also human and cried out in distress... he even expressed moments of hope and composure. It’s fascinating to me. I wonder what Job would have done or how He would have thought differently if He knew what the purpose of his testing was. Keep the original testing in mind when reading this book, Satan had already taken Job’s family and all that he owned away from him. Job still didn’t blame God. Satan brought up a second test; he was convinced that if Job had lost his health, he would curse God. He would lose his ability to work, to be productive, to be clean and bathe himself, possibly even the ability to use the restroom privately. He would lose his dignity. What if Job really understood why he was being tested? What would have been different about this book. I think the book of Job would have been a lot shorter for one thing.
It’s a question that I make personal. Even if the Lord answers my prayer and gives me all the things that I request on my own behalf and on the behalf of others, will I later understand what this time in wait and frustration was all about? Maybe, maybe not. The point is, we have no idea what God is doing and we may never know. But we must acknowledge God in our lives in the desert and in the ocean. He’s working, He’s moving and He’s doing things that are all for His glory. Persevere and believe. Don’t lose your faith and when blessing comes, accept it! Don’t be hesitant. Welcome it with open arms and an open heart. He is your Father and He wants to give you good things.
No comments:
Post a Comment